10/27/2016

One Room Challenge - Week Four - Spring 2016


Well, Friends! Week four of the One Room Challenge is here and boy, did some stuff happen this week. Look back to week one here, where I introduced the space that Marquin Designs and I are working on. 


First, lets talk about this painting and these shades! I can't take credit for either. Marquin worked her paintbrush magic. I could not be more obsessed with this painting and those lampshades are such a huge transformation and completely update the lamps. Marquin used the best shade of blue to give them their inky appearance.


We began working on some of the accessory placement this week and we decided that this Dana Gibson beauty deserved a spot right up on the mantle with a few ginger jar friends. When like items are in a room together, they are always more impactful grouped together rather than sprinkled around. 


We decided that Marquin's existing roman shades needed a little color so we picked up some tape and Marquin used Fabric Fusion and dressmaker pins to adhere it. A project that simple made such a big impact on this space to bring the color pallet together. 


We got our pillows back from the seamstress and I couldn't be more happy with them. I made tassels and the seamstress sewed them into the french pleat corners of the Neo Toile pillow (Can't wait to show you the details of that one!), and we whipped up a little lumbar out of Jana Bek's Shagreen fabric to accent out Dana Gibson Leopard cutie. 


I think one of the most unexpected and exciting elements in the space is the introduction of green. We covered all of Marquin's antique chair seats with solid green and Design Legacy green geode fabric and it is so fun and unexpected. 



We had the most lovely afternoon on the porch working on projects for the space. Marquin covered all the seat cushions and I worked on a little project to freshen up the kitchen china cabinet area. 


Here is a lovely moment Kim (our lovely photographer and friend captured of me being really excited to adhere the china cabinet backs with command strips. Like... too excited. 

But, I do get excited about this, because adhering fabric to the back of bookcases or china cabinets is one of the most affective ways to update them in a temporary way. Here's a run down on how to make it happen. 


I usually use foam core board but in this case, the shelves were too long to buy foam core board that would cover the space so I had some corregated plastic cut from a local rubber and plastic company. In most cases you can certainly find foam core at the right length. Hobby Lobby has the best selection of large pieces. 

I cut them to size and then spray them with spray adhesive. Then, place directly on the fabric and  wrap the fabric around to the back and adhere with tape. 

It's a pretty easy update. 



We used this Thibaut print that is soft yet full of color and pattern! Here's a short run down on my shelf styling methods. 


Once we placed the panels in the back, I started to style the shelves. I always start with a bottom layer of books, boxes and trays. 


Then, I layer a few items in the back... paintings in this case, but I usually mix in a mirror too. 


Lastly, I add in the items and collections! 



I leave you with a Jackson portrait. Love this boy and getting to visit him. Check out what Marquin is up to and what all the other One Room Challenge participants and doing on Week 4! 

Until next week! 

XO, 
Amanda Louise 











4 comments:

  1. Love the fabric on the back of the cabinet!! It all looks so great but then I knew it would!! Great progress!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, dear! XO Headed over to check out your progress now!

      Delete
  2. Looks so great! Love how the cabinet came out and the trim on those shades is beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Marquin had such a great idea to paint those!!! Can't wait to check out what you've been up to this week!!!

      Delete